Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Paper Towel Tube Candles

I saw these made on a Country Living Website and a few other blogs, so I wanted to give them a try.


To make these, you first need a paper towel tube or a toilet paper tube would also work.  I took the long tube out of my paper towels and then cut it into three pieces that were different heights.

Next, I took the hot glue gun and dripped it down the sides and all over the holders. I used a mini glue gun and it took 5 glue sticks to cover them.

Now, you are ready to paint these.  I used white acrylic paint and a foam brush to cover them.  I think it would be easier and faster to spray paint them, but I didn't have any white spray paint on hand.  I also painted the insides of the tubes.

I then took the small tealight candles that are battery powered and put them in the bottom to make these light up.


They look a lot cooler in person that they do in the pictures, because it is hard to get the glowing effect to show up.  They also look really neat on with the lights off.  I tried to take a picture for you, but it didn't show up very good.

8 comments:

Lisa J said...

Now this is something I just will have to try! Its more along my level! I have a friend who decorates for Halloween all the time I will have to make some for her and my stepdaughter. I have a whole bottle of glowing glitter from Martha Stewart I just might have to incorporate into this!

Jean said...

Lisa, I think it would look really cool if you used the glowing glitter.

Flamenco92627/ Julieta said...

Great job on these. I would try it but I don't have that much hot glue LOL!

Amanda C said...

ok, these are just too cool!!!

Audrey Frelx said...

Jean, I'll have to try this one!!!

Celeste B. said...

So cute! What a creative idea! :)

Rhonda Emery said...

very creative these are awesome. tfs your talent.

Lisa said...

I want to try this art project tonight. Looks really cool.