Friday, June 17, 2011

Chalkboard Frame

I was making this downstairs and didn't take any pictures in the process for some reason, so I don't have step by step photos.  However, I can give you some instructions so if you want to make your own chalkboard frame you can.  I just started with a frame from Walmart (one out of their $2 section).  I removed the glass from the frame and cut a piece of chipboard to fit in the photo insert.  Now, I was ready to paint.  The frame was spray painted white and I then used spray chalkboard paint on the chipboard insert.  (You need to use two coats spraying opposite directions horizontal and then vertical for the chalkboard paint).  Once everything was dry, I put the insert inside my frame and then added some green circles that I cut with vinyl around the outside. 

I think this turned out nice and because it is a frame, you can set it on your desk and use it for notes.  I made this to go with my sister's birthday gift, so I added a Happy Birthday message to the chalkboard.

6 comments:

Angi Barrs said...

Super adorable frame. This would make a great gift too. Love polka dots. :)

Unknown said...

That's a really cute idea, Jean.

I just wanted to let you know that I liked your Dynamite idea so much that I copied it. I posted it here: http://papercompulsions.blogspot.com/2011/06/dad-you-are-dynamite.html and linked back to you and Allie. Drop by if you get a chance and get the svg's I made for the project.

Anonymous said...

This is just too cute!!! great idea! tfs! -Sam :-)

Audrey Frelx said...

Too cute!

Rhonda Emery said...

this is really adorable would look so cute hanging in a childrens bedroom. love it and thank you for the award this was a sweet suprise. hugs

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

So fun! Love the frame!