Thursday, June 23, 2011

Patriotic Flag Frame

I have had the idea to do a flag type frame and finally decided exactly how I wanted it to look.  I painted the frame and then used the font on the Batman Cricut Cartridge to cut the numbers for the glass out of black vinyl.  I put white glitter paper behind the glass and added some white buttons to the frame.  Finally, I used a black marker to write from the Declaration of Independence on the frame: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."


This is the frame that I started out with.

I spray painted the base with white spray paint. It took a couple of coats because the frame was dark.

Next, I was ready to add my acrylic paint.  I taped off the frame and used Aegean Blue and Tomato Red to add the blue corner and the red stripes.

Finally, I let that dry and then hot glued some star buttons to the blue corner.  Then I added the inside with glitter paper, the vinyl date and hand wrote the words with a black marker to finish the frame.

I am entering this into the following challenges:
Whimsical Wednesday:  Patriotic with brads, buttons or bling: http://whimsicalwednesdays.blogspot.com/
Creative Cutter Room: project must include a flag: http://www.creativecutter.org/

9 comments:

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

This turned out great! Such a fun project! Thanks for joining us over at the CCR! DT Member Carri :)

Cindy Beland said...

Oh my goodness your frame is FANTASTIC!Super job with the details and painting,Just Beautiful!Thanks so much for joining us this week at Whimsical Wednesday!!:)

GiGi said...

This is awesome! You did such a great job painting this. Very nice. Thanks for playing at Whimsical Wednesdays!

Rhonda Emery said...

this is really cute jean love it and your stripes rock! hugs

The Archiving Angel said...

Wow! This is such a wonderful frame! It is a great home decor piece. I love the star buttons & how you inserted part of the Declaration of Independence! That was genius. This is truly a terrific piece of art from the heart. Patriotic indeed!!!
Thanks for playing along with us at Whimsical Wednesday.
Crafty best wishes,Sonia

Cely said...

These projects are soooo cute! :)

Thanks for the sweet comment you left on my blog. I'm your newest follower!

Kim H said...

Jean,
Where does one begin with your project! AMAZING, STUNNING, CLEVER and so many more words! Thank you for giving the step by step instructions! I seriously love this! I guess you can tell! The words are to perfect too! Thanks for playing along with us at Whimsical Wednesdays!

Scrappin' Sista said...

Oh WOW!!! You go girl. Great job! Thanks for joining us over at Creative Cutter Room. Hope to see you for the next challenge.

Christel
CCR DT MEMBER

Unknown said...

What a creative project. Great instruction too. Love the little buttons. This is just the perfect piece to decorate your home with. Thank you for joining us at Whimsical Wednesday.